Cuvva is a new kind of insurance that’s fast, friendly, and flexible.
We get it - insurance doesn’t sound exciting. But this isn’t insurance as you know it. It’s insurance the way it should be. We’re putting the customer first and building products that solve real human needs.
We were the first company in the UK to sell hourly insurance, and the first to sell insurance through an app. We’ve sold over 1 million policies. We’ve written hundreds of thousands lines of code. And we’re a fast-growing team of over 80 talented people.
Why work for Cuvva?
We’re shaping the future of insurance. So we don’t cut corners. We try to do the right thing, even when that makes life more difficult for us.
We’ll speak up when we have an idea - but we know when to let go and get behind something else.
And we’re comfortable giving and receiving honest feedback, and trying new ways of doing things. It’s the Cuvva way.
We’re building a diverse team with different backgrounds, outlooks and experiences. So we give everyone a fair chance of getting a role at Cuvva. Even if you secretly don’t love insurance. (Don’t worry - we didn’t either.)
And if you need any adjustments or support when you’re applying to Cuvva, no worries. Just let us know.
As well as a competitive salary and equity based remuneration, benefits of working at Cuvva include:
- Professional development budget
- Brand new MacBook
- Health and wellbeing budget
- Enhanced parental leave
- Workplace pension scheme
- 33 days of holiday a year (including public holidays )
- Mates rates on your insurance
- Work-from-home Wednesdays (Currently Work-from-home everyday!)
- Referral bonus when you bring your friends to join the Cuvva team
- Office library full of great books
- Fresh fruit and breakfast club every day
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- A day off to volunteer
- One-to-one sessions with our Sanctus coach, giving you a safe space to talk about your mental health
- Coffee machine in the office
- Fully stocked beer and soft drink fridge - we do team drinks every Thursday
- Regular team lunches
- Monthly team outings (so far we’ve done things like karaoke, go-karting, bowling and comedy night)
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Android developer who will help us lay the foundations for the next couple of years of the user-facing side of Cuvva’s platform. You will have some experience building complex apps in a modular fashion with elegance and simplicity. You care deeply about building rock-solid infrastructure for the long term, with a track record of delivering solutions which support your team and product: Cuvva as seen by our customers will be created by you.
You will be responsible for:
- Bringing our new design concepts to realisation (let us know if you’d like a peek!)
- Collaborating with our platform team to spec out API requirements
- Helping customers and fixing any problems they have (everyone at Cuvva helps out with support)
- A fiercely independent and self-driven approach
- Experience dealing with adapting tightly defined designs for responsive display
- We are a small team so it is important that the successful candidate is not only technically competent, but also a great cultural fit!
More about our codebase:
- 130+ modules: We love modules as a way of separating concerns and creating independent pieces of software that allow us to work in parallel minimising merge conflicts.
- Design System: We believe that design is a core piece of everything we do and we invest heavily in a design system as a way of approaching building new screens, with building blocks and design specific modules that help us to move forward much more efficiently.
- MVI + Clean architecture: We use MVI for our presentation layer and use concepts from Clean architecture for our domain and data layers.
- Coroutines + Flow: We make heavy use of both and borrow some functional concepts for error handling and reactive architecture.
- 75% kotlin: We write all new code in Kotlin and are in the process of converting older parts of our app.
- We believe that testing is an integral part of the job, and aim for new code to a decent level of coverage.